April 23, 2013

Week 17 | Happy St. George's Day!

Today is St. George's Day, which is the celebration of England's patron saint.  Dating back to the 12th century (crazy old!), St. George is known for slaying a dragon, a bit like what is going down in Game of Thrones. I'm no history nerd, and shamefully I really don't know much of the story about St. George (note to self, read up on it before posting about it!). However, I am quite patriotic to the motherland and with me living away from it, I wanted to give a shout out to all my friends and family back home in celebration!  It isn't celebrated quite as hard as St. Patrick's Day, but I expect this will change over the coming years (Dear Queen, please give all my peeps an extra bank holiday off, they deserve it!).  If you are celebrating, then I hope it's with a good pint of ye olde English ale or a crumpet (maybe two?) and a pot of tea, served only in the finest china... cup and saucer, if you please.  I am going to have a go at making crumpets soon.  And I'm going to use Paul Hollywood's recipe, so keep watch for my progress on that!     

England, friends and family, I love you and miss you all!

Happy St. George's Day !!!



No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips